Aloha! Welcome to the UH Hilo Marine Option Program!
MOP is primarily driven by students interested in the ocean that surrounds our islands. MOP provides hands on, marine-focused experiences for any UH student interested in the ocean, including: turtle tagging, scientific diving, camping, whale and seal counts, and many other ocean-related field trips. MOP offers a certificate program for students of all majors.
Upcoming MOP Events
MOP activities are typically open to any UH student.
Please contact one of the MOP Coordinators if interested in attending.
- - Monday, Jan 12, 2015: First MOP Executive Committee Meeting.
- - Friday, Jan 16, 2015: "Welcome Lu`au" for all MARE and MOP students and faculty. 5:30PM
- - Saturday, Jan 24, 2015: Onizuka Science Day at UH Hilo. 8AM-3:30PM
- - Saturday, April 18, 2015: Annual MOP Symposium. This year it will be held on Kaua`i.
- - Monday, May 18, 2015: First day of QUEST Field Program.
- - TBD: MOP Graduation and BBQ.
Looking for something to do on Sunday morning?
Tune in to MOP Talk!
Hosted by UH Hilo MOP student Zach Higgins, MOP Talk is a weekly radio show that feature's various members of the MOP community, including faculty, staff, alumni, and current students. Topics include MOP programs, student projects, and other MOP- or marine-related topics.
The show runs every Sunday from 10 am to 12 pm HST and can be streamed from uhhradio.com. For people with mobile phones who want to listen in, download the RadioFlag app and sign up for a free account. The station ID is @iHilo.
Browse the latest issue of Seawords magazine, the Marine Option Program's monthly newsletter.